July 16, 2020
Man, it is hot! We are located in North Carolina so that southern heat has officially hit this month.
Last week on the blog we talked about our favorite drinks to keep us cool and refreshed during the summer - click here to read that. Get your scoopers ready - National Ice Cream Day is happening this Sunday, July 19 - but an ice cream sundae bar is the perfect way to cool down during any summer outdoor gathering or even just a fun activity to do with your kiddos.
You might be thinking an ice cream sundae bar is pretty basic, but there are a lot of ways you can make the effort extra special, whether that's because you want to wow guests or just do something a little different while we're still social distancing due to the pandemic.
No matter what your reasoning, this blog will give you some tips to make your sundae bar extra sweet.
1. Sundae bars are all about variety, in my opinion. The more options the better across the board, but let's start with toppings. Go beyond your typical chocolate sauce and sprinkles. Think about all of the options you have when you visit TCBY or my personal favorite, Sweet Frog. Here are just a few options that you might not be thinking of as you're getting ready:
2. Now let's take that same variety to the dish you use to put your ice cream in. Offer up your traditional cones, but you can spice them up by getting cone bowls or dipping them in hardened chocolate. If you're looking for something less messy, try a fun shaped bowl or even a traditional ice cream sundae dish you might see at an old school diner.
3. Next, ice cream. A lot of people go with the typical chocolate and vanilla to make it easy, but if you can, go all out. Check for ice cream that's on sale at your grocery store and go for some fun flavors too that you've never tried before. If you are really feeling it, look into making some homemade ice cream as well, you'll be able to experiment with flavors.
4. Don't forget about the folks who might not like ice cream. You can still stay on theme, if this is for a party, by getting ice cream shaped cookies. Make your own by buying an ice cream cookie cutter and get the kids involved in decorating! You can also go with popsicles to stay on the cold treat theme.
5. Speaking of decorating - to make this extra special, think about the layout. Get a fun tray or use dessert tiers to lay out all the toppings and cones in pretty ways. Get a brightly colored table cloth and even search your local dollar store for some fun summer decor to spice things up against. Your sundae bar will be Instagram worthy. Trays will also ensure that the mess stays contained.
No matter what you do, a sundae bar is sure to be a hit in this heat. Be sure to tag us in your own creations so we can see the creative ways you beat the heat this summer!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
July 31, 2020
July 10, 2020
July 02, 2020